Ummah Masjid & Community Centre (UMCC) is inviting application from suitable candidates for the position of Executive Director (ED). The ED would be reporting directly to the Chairman of the UMCC Board and would be primarily responsible for managing and overseeing the day-to-day operations of UMCC. This fulltime supervisory position entails significant time commitment and flexible working hours to ensure continued operations of UMCC programs and facilities. The position comes with competitive salary package, commensurate with experience, compared to similar non-profit organizations in the region.
An ideal ED candidate will have the following key attributes:
- Minimum two years of experience working in not-for-profit Islamic organizations in supervisory capacities.
- A university or college degree or equivalent with proven track record demonstrating solid managerial and leadership attributes.
- Fluent in English with superb writing and communication skills; proficiency in French and Arabic would certainly be considered assets.
- Experience working in multi-lingual, multi-cultural, and diverse community setting would be a significant plus.
- A dynamic, flexible, and team approach to work with moderate-to-high level of information technology literacy and technical know-how are essential.
- Knowledge about non-profit financial management and the basic tenets of Islam are must.
The key responsibilities of the ED would involve:
- Implement the mission, vision, policies, and other strategic priorities of the UMCC as mandated by the UMCC Board.
- Supervise the day to day operation of UMCC and coordinate with Imam to manage, supervise, and evaluate all other UMCC staff under the direction of the UMCC Board.
- Oversee the operation of UMCC Gym and Kitchen, management of all educational programs, and actively engage to create funding opportunities through fund-raising campaigns and external grants.
- Be the point person for UMCC’s external media outreach and engagement. Initiate and implement effective communication strategies between UMCC and its stakeholders.
- Initiate and implement procedures to maintain UMCC Infrastructure in their finest conditions and coordinate with all contractors and agencies to keep timely maintenance of UMCC facilities.
- Oversee the management of UMCC pool of volunteers and actively participate in the disbursement of Zakat and other charity initiatives by representing UMCC in appropriate Committee and channels.
To apply for the position, please send your cover letter and curriculum vitae, including the names and contact details of three referees to: HR@UMCC.CA. The UMCC Board is actively working to incorporate Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all our hiring processes. Therefore, we encourage applications from visible minorities and other EDI seeking individuals.
About UMCC: The Ummah Masjid & Community Centre is a leading non-profit charity based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, serving Muslim communities in the region. We are an active and vibrant institution that aims to resemble the Prophet Mohammed’s Mosque, where the Mosque is a place to pray, learn Islam and Quran, pay Zakat to the needy, get together for weddings and Eid celebrations, for kids to play and have fun and, most importantly, a place in which the wisdom of living Islam materializes. In essence, our aim is to render the Mosque as a sanctuary around which our community’s lives revolve. To know more about UMCC, please visit our website at https://www.ummahmasjid.ca/ or email us at INFO@UMCC.CA.